Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Tuesday's Learnings

I made my first IMovie!!! One hour of navigation and exploration resulted in 30 seconds of footage!

A half hour later, I figured out how to save it.

Today was a reminder of the possibilities of technology...also an exercise in overcoming the frustrations.

Working with technology is like working in a black hole. It's like a time vacuum and a whole new universe of potential and wonder and discovery.

The chapter we read on Educational Technology reminded me how quickly things move (and become outdated). The arguments for and against the limitations and potential of technology in education made me wonder if our parents and grand parents had similar discussions about Rock and Roll.

There is no going back--we are ever-evolving and expanding. Rock and Roll is here to stay...and it opened doors to limitless new genres and musical geniuses.

A quote from the reading that struck a chord (no pun intended): Things that make you go Hmmmm:

"There won't be schools in the future. I think the computer will blow up the school. That is, the school defined as something where there are classes, teachers running exams, people structured in groups by age, following a curriculum--all of that..." "Nothing is more ridiculous than the idea that this technology can be used to improve school. It's going to displace school and the way we have understood school...I think that the very nature, the fundamental nature, of school that we see in this process is coming to an end."--(Seymoour Papert--A visionary professor from MIT--1988)



6 comments:

  1. Good ol' Seymour...I remember reading his book, "Mindstorms" back in the 80s. I think I still have it somewhere.
    Thanks for hanging in there with the technology. Sometimes it can be incredibly frustrating. I've almost given it up more than once!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today was my first time with iMovie also & I also felt similar frustration & enjoyment...black hole is a great analogy for the time trap, opportunities, distraction, improvements, etc technology brings.

    My group did not look back to rock n roll, but we also wondered how far back the technology discussion goes. Like we saw in the clip yesterday about the chalk board & our group brought up movies in the class room (film, beta, vhs, disks & now).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for that quote... Isn't it amazing to think how much technology has evolved in the relatively short amount of time since that chapter/book was written? As was said in class yesterday, I would interested to hear the thoughts of those same critics today...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all your analogies! I use to think that being "up" on the newest technology was the way to go but it is moving at exponential speed and there is NO WAY it is healthy. I now have a different perspective which allows me to soak in just enough technology to make life easy but I still believe in being "unplugged" at times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your movie Christy as well as your insights. I agree with Jody, it is so hard to unplug, yet, if we do not participate, we will miss the possibilities. We are constantly evolving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One thought about technology: the possibilities are almost limitless. Generally speaking, If we can think of it, it can be made. Technology is a tool. I don't think we always need to be 'up' on all of the newest technology, but if we know where to go or who to ask, we can find tools to help our students achieve in ways we never thought possible. It's not the panacea, but it will help us to work with our students more effectively. It doesn't replace the teacher, it assists the student.

    ReplyDelete